People can be intimidated by lipstick, even I was at one point. An easy way to transition into being comfortable wearing lipstick is by wearing a nude shade. Nude shades look best if they are either 1 to 2 shades lighter or darker then your natural lip color. They can either lean more pink or more brown, but that choice is purely up to you and what you feel comfortable with.
No one wants to look like they have concealer / foundation covered lips. It is best to stick with shades that look like they would be a natural lip color. Natural lipstick is great to balance out a smokey eye, wear with a neutral look or even wear on a no make-up make-up day.
Here are a few of my go to nude lipsticks (and one gloss).
1. Milani Nude Cream - This satin finish nude is my current favorite of this set. It is moisturizing and opaque. The shade almost matches my natural lip color, just the right amount of pink and brown. Definitely a great drugstore shade.
2. MAC Cream Cup - With a creamsheen finish, this pale cool pink shade is probably my first and all time favorite natural lip shade. I have loved this shade so much that I have bought it twice. The finish is nice and glossy. I like to pair it with a smokey eye, but it also looks great with minimal make-up.
3. Wet and Wild Just Peachy (903C) - This nude is more on the peachy side (hence the name), it has a satin matte finish which helps it last a long time on your lips. Due it it being matte it isn't the most moisturizing of lipsticks, but a layer of lip balm prior to application helps. This peachy shade is great in the summer, but I will also wear it in the fall with a bronze smokey eye.
4. L'oreal Fairest Nude - This is my most brown nude, don't let the word brown scare you off, it can pull almost mauve when worn. It is a very natural shade, the most similar to a natural lip color, kind of like a my lips by better shade.
5. NYX Fig - For some people this might be a debatable nude, but I love to push some buttons. Yes, Fig is a light-medium cool pink shade, but it still in my mind is a very natural pink color but amped up. The NYX round lipsticks are terrific, and this one is no exception, it is pigmented and moisturizing. This is my go to evening nude, it can be toned down by layering a paler shade over top.
6. NYX Butter Gloss in Creme Brûlée - Even though this is about my favorite nude lipsticks, I couldn't help but throw in a nude gloss that I have been wearing almost everyday since I got it. Creme Brûlée is almost like the gloss version of MAC Cream Cup and the gel formula is soft and not sticky. I added this because it is my favorite gloss to layer over all these lipsticks if I want a shinier look. The pale shade is neutral enough that it doesn't alter the shade underneath too much. If you haven't tried the butter glosses then you definitely need to try them soon (like now soon).
I hope this inspires you to try some nude lipsticks if you are afraid, they are a staple in my makeup bag. They are great to throw on if you just want a little color, they compliment almost every makeup look. If you don't want to spend a ton of money, check out the drugstore (brands like Wet and Wild sell lipsticks for as low as $0.99), buy a variety of shades and find the one that you like the best on you.
If you love a good nude lipstick, then what are your favorites?